Thursday, March 5, 2009

Being Alone


Matt and I have been together for 3.5 years... The best years, i think, of my life. I have learned to love with him, and learned that relationships are not easy. No one ever said they were supposed to be easy either. He and I have had our fair share of fights, disagreements, but we have always been there for each other when anything happened. That picture is from out Hawaii trip in 2008... we went there for my 21st birthday, the best birthday present ever! We got to feel like a real family there... living together for a whole week. We got into a few arguments, but it was OK, and it did not affect our vacation at all.
But now we are coming to a new hurdle. Something we have never had to encounter for more than a few days or a week. Matt is (if everything goes OK) joining the navy. This scares me because we have never had to do the long-distance thing. We have always been just a few miles away at most times, except when he goes on vacation w/ his family for a weekend. I know he will come back, but it will be a while. His basic training is 8 weeks near Chicago, and then A-school is after that (not sure how long that is, it depends on what he wants to do). I don't know what it will be like without him. I have a few friends, but they have kids and lives too. They do not just wanna spend all their time with me. I have a feeling that while he is gone I will be spending a lot of time alone... or working... nothing that sounds like fun to me.
Another worry is that when he gets his assignment that it will be somewhere far. Somewhere that I cannot drive to easily. I am hoping for San Diego (only about 1.5-2 hrs away), so I could go down there on the weekends or he could drive up here. But, if its any farther, more alone time. I know that when I am done with school that I want to live with him (if that's what he wants, and it works out), but that is not until December. I really wonder if he will ever want to marry me... He mentions marriage occasionally, but he makes it seem like its in the far away distant future (like 10 years or something), which is hard for me because my best friend is getting married next year, and already has a child... everything I have wanted since childhood.
My whole adult life has been with matt. We met just before my 18th birthday, and haven't been far apart since. Every weekend is spent with him, most meals out are with him. My family asks about him when he doesn't come to a family function, they love him almost as much as i do. I really will miss him, if he really goes through with all of this. I will be very proud of him though, for honoring our country. And for doing something with his life that is very respectable. I just hope and pray that we can remain strong through this.

No comments: